Caught in the Undertow

Today... is a struggle. It is difficult to fight against getting pulled under. 

I guess I need to look at how you successfully escape a riptide. You don't get out of it by struggling, or pushing forward. You get to safety by swimming along the current, parallel to shore, to "safety", until the pull is no longer there.

It's easier for me to fight, to struggle, to try and make headway when the pushback is stronger than I am. I find it extremely difficult to relax and go with the flow, hoping it will let up before I give up. At least when I'm fighting, I feel like I am attempting to do something about my situation. 

And I usually feel like I am swimming on an unguarded beach, because there is no one to jump in after me. No one stronger to pull me out, no one watching over me. 

I suppose I should to reframe this into something positive. After all, I do know the proper way to get to safety. I just kind of want to fight it for a bit because that is what comes naturally to me.

I can't control the forces of nature. I can't predict them. And often, I feel like I can't protect myself from them either. "It's a big enough umbrella, but I always seem to end up getting wet." 


Popular posts from this blog

Stormy Weather

Storm Warnings