Stormy Weather

It's interesting what happens when you underestimate developing disturbances. You watch a potential storm form, look at the trajectory, foolishly listen to early forecasts that say nothing much will come of it, then, a couple days later, act surprised and unprepared when you have an actual hurricane on your hands.

I'm not talking Fred. Although the Remnants of Fred is still a phrase I heard on the news last night. 

I'm not talking Grace. Although she hit Tulum (& I quote the weatherdude, "That place in Mexico with the pyramids." WtH?!) that first hit as a Cat 1, crossed land (& I guess a couple pyramids, angering the gods) and will hit land again as a Cat 2.

I'm referring to Henri. You know, that disturbance that formed off Bermuda, the home of two dimensional pyramids, also known as triangles. The storm flippantly told, "Hello Henri, Goodbye Henri" that is now barreling down on New England, which seldom takes hurricanes seriously.

Storms are all relative, I guess. (More on just how many storms are named after my relatives another time.)

Seriously. If you are not in the direct path, you just sort of ignore them, brush them off, and acted mildly concerned when they affect others.

When they change their course and come straight for you, yeah, that's an entirely different story. Suddenly, you're waiting on line for free sand bags, buying strange things you don't intend to eat, but will if forced to (instead of actual, rational choices), and trying to figure out where you put the flashlight after the last time you used it as a light saber.

Life is a lot like that. I'm thinking I need to be paying closer attention to the actual indicators instead of relying on outside barometers, and be a little better prepared for the rain.

Popular posts from this blog

Storm Warnings

Caught in the Undertow